Corporate criminal law
Dupond-Moretti & Vey supports its clients in connection with criminal and regulatory proceedings. We advise our clients upstream on questions of compliance, ethics and governance. Our team works in cases relating to bribery, corruption, favouritism and embezzlement of public funds. In particular, we represent company directors charged with offences of misuse of company assets, breach of trust, bankruptcy or presentation of inaccurate company accounts. The firm’s lawyers also assist litigants involved with the tax authorities, notably for offences of fraud and money laundering. The firm regularly defends elected representatives charged in connection with their mandates, particularly on the occasion of proceedings brought in connection with the French Haute Autorité pour la transparence de la vie publique [High Authority for Transparency in Public Life] (declaring assets). Our experience with sensitive cases with high media exposure has enabled us to develop skills in crisis management (image rights, damage to honour and reputation), where required by setting up a dedicated division.
Our recent work:
• Legal advice to the director of a multinational company (turnover: +2.3 billion euros) in the context of a preliminary inquiry conducted by the National Public Prosecutor’s Office for Financial Affairs for offences of corruption, unlawful acquisition of interests and favouritism.
• Work on behalf of an elected representative and the CEO of a large French group (turnover: +4.8 billion euros) in the context of an investigation relating to offences of corruption in public life.
• Defence of a former director of a multinational company (turnover: +2.4 billion euros) charged in connection with an investigation opened in particular, for offences of financing of terrorism.
• Legal advice to a politician referred before the Criminal Court of Paris for offences of corruption, unlawful acquisition of interests, untruthful declaration of assets, tax fraud and money laundering.
• Legal advice to a former elected representative, holder of a non-declared bank account and referred, on that basis, before the Criminal Court for offences of tax fraud and money laundering.
• Defence of a Swiss national charged with tax fraud and money laundering in the context of large-scale real estate transactions (+130 million euros).
• Legal advice to a French national arrested in the United Kingdom and forming the subject of an extradition request from the French judicial authorities in connection with an investigation opened for illegal financing of an election campaign.
• Defence on several occasions of elected representatives prosecuted before the Criminal Court for inaccurate declaration of assets following reporting by the Haute Autorité pour la transparence de la vie publique.
• Legal advice to an international group (turnover: +22 billion euros) in the context of a preliminary inquiry conducted by the National Public Prosecutor’s Office for Financial Affairs for offences of corruption and unlawful acquisition of interests.
• Legal advice to several States and assistance to their directors, representatives and public officials in the context of their everyday legal operations and large-scale legal affairs, both in France and abroad.
• Defence of the director of a gaming establishment charged with offences of breach of trust and illegal employment.
• Acquittal obtained in first instance and on appeal for the directors of a property construction and development group prosecuted for corruption.
• Defence of the owner of a well-known vineyard charged with offences of unlawful acquisition of interests in connection with the classification of wines.
• Legal advice to a group of shareholders of a portfolio management company reporting offences of breach of trust, presentation of an inaccurate balance sheet and misuse of company assets committed by the buyer in the context of the sale of their shares.
• Defence of a group of investors who had been victims of fraud and implicating a bank in respect of its obligations of vigilance.
• Defence of a Swiss national detained in Serbia in connection with execution of an arrest warrant issued by the US justice system for offences of insider dealing in the United States.
• Work on behalf of a former company director in the context of investigations opened in several States (Monaco, Belgium) for offences of corruption, tax fraud and money laundering.